Sage Santangelo ’12 Spurs Policy Change in Marine Corps (Seapower)

sage santangelo

2nd Lt. Sage Santangelo ’12 with President Barry Mills

In response to a March 30 Washington Post op-ed by 2nd Lt. Sage Santangelo ’12, the U.S. Marine Corps commandant has ordered a change in the policy preventing female recruits from having more than one chance to pass the Marine Corps Infantry Officers Course.

In her article, Santangelo questioned why only men, and not women, were given a second pass. She also suggested ways to better train and prepare women for the rigorous 17-week course in Quantico, Va. So far, 14 women have tried and failed to pass the infantry officers course, including Santangelo.

After issuing an order to allow women a second chance, Gen. James F. Amos not only praised Santangelo but also offered her a chance to go to Afghanistan while she waits for her flight training, Seapower reports.

The Marine Corps and the Army are determining if they can open ground combat jobs, including infantry, to women. Although military women are now able to serve in many combat-related positions, including aviation, military police and field artillery, they are banned from the infantry.

Comments

  1. Eileen Sheedy Currie says:

    Congratulations! As a Bowdoin grad. & the mother of a retired Marine I read your article with great interest and frustration at the double standard. You moved a mountain. Hoo Rah! Be safe in Afghanastan.

  2. John Powell says:

    Wow, nice work by Sage. Another Bowdoin grad driving change. Well done.

  3. Morgan Adams says:

    Courageous stand. Glad to see it rewarded, or at least acknowledged.

Speak Your Mind

*