Dick Leavitt ’76 Inducted into Hebron Academy Athletic Hall of Fame

Dick Leavitt ‘72 was inducted into the Hebron Academy Athletic Hall of Fame Oct. 6, 2012. Leavitt, who still holds the Polar Bear record for indoor and outdoor shot-put at 17.11 meters, is greeted by Max Middleton '16, who not only also attended Hebron Academy, but was a shot-putter there, as well.

Two-time All-American Richard Leavitt ’76, who, after leaving the College, would go on to play for the New York Giants, has been honored for his athletic achievements by his other alma mater, Hebron Academy in Maine. The boarding school inducted Leavitt into its Athletic Hall of Fame Saturday, Oct. 6, 2012.

Leavitt played football for Edward Little High School in Auburn, Hebron Academy and the College (though he was also the 1975 NCAA champion in the shot put) hooked up with the Giants at the end of 1976 season, during which he was active for two games as a long-snapper. He suffered season-ending knee injuries in preseason in both 1977 and 1978, and eventually got into coaching — serving as football coach for Brunswick High School from 1995 to 2004. Leavitt is currently the assistant football coach at Lewiston High School.

Comments

1. Jed Lyons says:

Congratulations to Dick Leavitt who deserves this accolade for his outstanding contributions to Hebron and Bowdoin athletics. I recall one on one sessions with Dick during football practices when he was a sophomore and I was a senior. They were no fun. His size, strength, and grit were so formidable that we always hoped for another partner! Well done, Dick.

2. Walter Reynolds says:

Congratulations Dick. A wonderful acknowledgement of a great career.

3. Malcolm Gauld says:

I “ditto” Mr. Lyons and had a similar experience. My senior year at Hyde School, we faced off against Dick’s Hebron Lumberjacks on the last game of the season. I had the misfortune of going up against him on both defense and offense and remember it as the longest day of my high school (or college) athletic career. Suffice it to say that it was much more fun to cheer him on as a classmate than to try to compete against him. Congratulations, Dick, and I’ll look for you on the sidelines of this season’s Hyde v. Hebron tilt! – Malcolm Gauld ’76

4. Peter Healey ' 73 says:

Dick Leavitt was impressive in many ways. He had size and he was powerful. Playing offensive tackle across from him during Polar Bear scrimmages you quickly learned about immovable objects and I was not small. As a big man Dick attracted a lot of double teams, but he was able to defeat them with ease to stuff the hole or pressure the opposing passers. As a fellow weight thrower I appreciated that aside from his sheer size, he was extremely quick on his feet. I saw Dick set both the indoor and outdoor Bowdoin shot put records which still stand. As Captain of both the indoor and outdoor track teams my Senior year I took great pride in seeing this gentle giant come out of his shell and excel. He was very special as a team mate and a friend. So hats off to you for a job well done. You have touched many lives with your dedication to the teaching and coaching professions and done yourself and your Alma Maters very proud.

5. Bill Clark '76 says:

Congratulations Big Dick!
    You deserve all your accolades. Dick was converted to offensive tackle our senior year and he was a beast. No one hit harder than Dick. He was also an incredible weight man in track as Peter Healy notes. Most of all, he was a funny, kind spirited guy who kept us all laughing. We salute you big fellow!

6. Congratulations Coach!!! What an honor it was to see you every day in high school at BHS. I admired the way you coached the guys and loved watching you coach my brother. We were a couple of lucky kids :) thank you for all the lessons you taught us in that time, always more than just football. Much love and admiration to you!!!

7. Jesse jJones says:

Coach,

I don’t think you have any idea how much of an impact on my life you had. To put it simply, you directed me, sent me on the right path, and if you were not there I wouldn’t be the man I am today! Thank you so much!